In 2023, TikTok remains a top social media platform for advertisers to promote their brands. This article will provide you with comprehensive information on TikTok ads and how your brand can leverage them to achieve its marketing goals.
TikTok Advertising: What You Need to Know
Since its beta version was launched in 2019, TikTok ads have become an essential part of the platform, with global brands like Nike advertising on the platform. In 2021, TikTok had over one billion active users worldwide, making it a go-to platform for advertising. The TikTok Ad Manager, similar to Facebook’s advertising system, is an essential tool for advertisers to create and manage their ad campaigns. Although TikTok Ad Manager offers fewer targeting options than Facebook, it makes up for it with its massive reach.
Types of TikTok Ads
TikTok offers a wide range of ad formats that brands can choose from, depending on their objectives. The ad formats include:
- In-feed ads that can be created in-house using TikTok’s Ad Manager.
- Image ads that run across TikTok’s associated News Feed apps like Babe, BuzzVideo, and TopBuzz. They can include text, an app or brand name, and an image.
- Carousel ads that run in TikTok’s News Feed apps and can include up to ten different images with unique captions for each.
- Video ads that run in users’ For You feed and across TikTok’s News Feed apps. They can last from five seconds to one minute and can include video, ad text, a brand or app name, and an ad display image.
- Pangle ads that are distributed through the TikTok Audience Network.
- Spark ads that let you boost organic content either from your account or another user’s. TikTok revealed that Spark ads are 142% more engaging than regular in-feed ads.
Creating a TikTok Ads Account
Creating a TikTok Ads Campaign
When you log into TikTok Ads Manager, click on the ‘Campaign’ section, and choose either the ‘Simplified’ or ‘Custom’ mode. We recommend the Simplified mode, especially for beginners. Next, choose the most relevant campaign objective to your goals from the three main categories split into seven core campaign objectives:
- Reach: Shows your ad to the most people.
- Traffic: Drives traffic to a specific URL, and you can install the TikTok Pixel code into your desired URL to track nitty-gritty details like IP addresses and timestamps.
- App Installs: Encourages people to download an app you’re promoting.
- Video Views: Prompts users to watch video content and maximize video ad plays.
- Lead Generation: Uses an Instant Form for users to fill out and submit, aiming to widen your net and generate new customers.
- Conversions: Drive people to your URL with a specific action in mind, like subscription, purchase, and so on.
- Catalog Sales: Dynamic TikTok ads based on your product catalog.
Once you have chosen the right objective, name your campaign, and set a budget. Set your budget as either a lifetime or daily budget, or let TikTok Ad Manager optimize your budget automatically (minimum $50). Name your ad groups and confirm their placement.
Video ads are another popular type of TikTok ad. They are similar to in-feed ads, but they appear in the For You feed and can be between five seconds to one minute long. Video ads can include video content, ad text, a brand or app name, and an ad display image.
Pangle ads are a type of TikTok ad that is distributed through the TikTok Audience Network. This network allows advertisers to reach users across other popular apps and websites. Pangle ads are designed to be native ads, which means they blend in with the app or website’s content.
Spark ads are another type of TikTok ad that lets advertisers boost organic content from their account or another user’s account. According to TikTok, Spark ads are 142% more engaging than regular in-feed ads.
Once a user has created an account, they can start creating a TikTok ads campaign. In TikTok Ads Manager, users can choose between simplified or custom mode. Simplified mode is recommended for beginners, while custom mode offers more options for experienced users.
Users can choose from seven core campaign objectives, including awareness, consideration, and conversions. They can set a budget and select their target audience before launching their campaign.
In conclusion, TikTok ads are an effective way to reach a massive audience on the platform. Advertisers can choose from a variety of ad formats, including in-feed ads, image ads, carousel ads, video ads, Pangle ads, and Spark ads. Setting up a TikTok ads account and creating a campaign is a straightforward process that can help brands achieve their marketing goals.