In the face of global warming and increasing droughts, water has become an increasingly precious resource. As we become more aware of the need to conserve water, it’s important to consider storing water for emergencies or long-term use. In this article, we’ll discuss the importance of storing water, what to use to store water, how to make water drinkable for an extended period of time, and how to purify water for drinking.
Why Should You Store Water?
There are many reasons why you should store water, including emergencies, power outages, and natural disasters. In the event of a disaster or emergency, water supplies may be limited or contaminated, making it difficult to obtain clean drinking water. Additionally, storing water can help you save money and conserve water during droughts or water shortages.
Global warming and increasing droughts have also made it more important to conserve and store water. Climate change is causing more extreme weather patterns, leading to longer and more severe droughts. By storing water, you can help ensure that you have access to clean drinking water even during times of water scarcity.
What Should You Use to Store Water?
When it comes to storing water, there are a few options to choose from. The most common methods include using plastic containers, barrels, or tanks. These containers should be made from food-grade plastic and should be specifically designed for storing water. Additionally, it’s important to store water in a cool, dark place to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Powders and tablets are also available to help keep water drinkable for a longer period of time. These products work by releasing chlorine or other chemicals into the water, killing bacteria and other microorganisms. While these products can be effective, they should be used as a last resort, as they can alter the taste and smell of the water.
How Important Will Fresh Clean Water Be in the Future?
As global warming continues to impact our planet, access to fresh, clean water will become even more important. Many regions are already experiencing water shortages and droughts, and these issues are only expected to worsen in the coming years. In addition to storing water, it’s important to conserve water whenever possible to help ensure that we have access to clean drinking water in the future.
Using Rainwater for the Toilet and Drinking
Rainwater is an excellent source of water that can be used for non-potable purposes such as flushing toilets and watering plants. However, with the right equipment and filtration system, rainwater can also be made safe for drinking. To use rainwater for drinking, you’ll need to collect rainwater in a clean container, filter it to remove debris, and purify it using a UV water purifier or other water treatment system.
Purifying Water with Filters
Water filters are an excellent way to purify water and remove contaminants. There are many types of water filters available, including activated carbon filters, reverse osmosis systems, and UV water purifiers. Activated carbon filters are effective at removing chlorine, sediment, and other contaminants, while reverse osmosis systems can remove minerals and other impurities. UV water purifiers use ultraviolet light to kill bacteria and other microorganisms, making it safe to drink.
Storing water is an important step in ensuring that you have access to clean drinking water in the event of a disaster or emergency. With climate change causing more extreme weather patterns and increasing droughts, it’s more important than ever to conserve water and prepare for emergencies. Using plastic containers, barrels, or tanks, along with powders and tablets, are effective methods for storing water. Additionally, rainwater can be used for non-potable purposes and even made safe for drinking with the right equipment and filtration system. Water filters are also a great way to purify water and remove contaminants, ensuring that you have safe and clean drinking water.
By taking steps to store and conserve water, you’re not only ensuring that you have access to clean drinking water, but you’re also doing your part to conserve this precious resource for future generations. With the right equipment and knowledge, anyone can store and purify water, making it an essential practice for anyone who values the importance of water.
Here are some of the popular water storage and filtration systems available on the market today:
- Water Storage Containers – These are large containers that come in various sizes ranging from a few gallons to thousands of gallons. They are usually made of plastic, metal or concrete and are designed to store water for a long period of time. Some popular brands include Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer, WaterPrepared, and Scepter Military Water Can.
- Berkey Water Filters – These are gravity-fed water filtration systems that use activated carbon filters and other proprietary filtration media to remove contaminants from water. They are popular for their portability and high level of filtration. Some popular models include the Berkey Light, Travel Berkey, and Big Berkey.
- Sawyer Water Filters – These are compact and lightweight water filtration systems that are popular among hikers, campers, and outdoor enthusiasts. They use hollow fiber membranes to filter out bacteria, protozoa, and other contaminants. Some popular models include the Sawyer Squeeze, Sawyer Mini, and Sawyer PointONE.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems – These are advanced water filtration systems that use a semi-permeable membrane to remove dissolved solids, minerals, and other contaminants from water. They are commonly used in households and are installed under the sink or countertop. Some popular brands include APEC Water Systems, iSpring, and Express Water.
- LifeStraw – This is a portable water filtration device that is designed for emergency use. It uses a hollow fiber membrane to filter out bacteria and protozoa, making water safe to drink. It’s popular among hikers, campers, and travelers who need a lightweight and compact filtration device.
These are just a few examples of the many water storage and filtration systems available on the market today. It’s important to research and compare different systems to find one that fits your needs and budget.
Water is one of the most essential resources we have, and it’s important to take steps to ensure that we have access to clean and safe drinking water. Storing water in plastic containers, barrels, or tanks, using powders and tablets to keep water drinkable, using rainwater for non-potable purposes, and purifying water with filters are all effective ways to ensure that you have access to clean and safe drinking water. By taking these steps, you’re not only preparing for emergencies and conserving water, but you’re also doing your part to protect this vital resource for future generations.